Spay and neuter are veterinary surgical procedures to sterilize pets. Female pets are spayed while male pets are neutered. Spaying and neutering are important procedures to prevent unwanted pet pregnancies, which is very important because animal shelters, in general, are already overcrowded. Spaying or neutering your pet can also curb dangerous, destructive behaviors.
Benefits of Spay and Neuter
The main benefit is that a spayed or neutered animal cannot produce offspring, leading to fewer unwanted litters of kittens and puppies. Other benefits of spaying and neutering include:
- These procedures reduce the risk of different types of cancer that can significantly shorten the lives of animals.
- A neutered male dog will not have the urge to chase female animals any longer. The chances that he will get lost or get harmed by a vehicle drop significantly.
- Neutering is a useful procedure for male animals because it prevents the development of prostate problems and various types of urinary infections.
- The statistics show that neutered male animals are less aggressive and territorial. Neutered cats stop marking the territory.
When Should You Spay or Neuter Your Pet?
- If you have a dog, you should spay or neuter it when it is only between 6 and 9 months old. You can also neuter or spay a puppy at the age of 8 weeks as long as the pet is healthy.
- Cats can be spayed at the age of 8 weeks. It is better not to wait too long and spay your kitten no later than at the age of 5 months.
After examining your pet, our veterinarian will decide on the best time to have your pet spayed or neutered.
Delmarva Animal Emergency Center - Your Trustworthy Pet Clinic in Dover, DE
Our facility is a full-service animal hospital in Dover, DE that offers both emergency treatment and routine medical services, including spay and neuter. We do our best to help your pet to stay healthy and active as long as possible. For more information on spay and neuter, other services offered by our veterinarian, or to request an appointment, call us at (302) 697-0850.